Brown and Pink Background

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Washington DC Oct 2011

I am so proud to be an American!  I absolutely LOVED my last trip to Washington DC!  My little brother, Daniel, and I have been "planning" this for months.  I say "planning" because we definitely planned on going...but I certainly didn't plan a minute by minute schedule of what we would do when we got there.  Daniel is leaving on his mission to Paraguay tomorrow morning and we wanted to do one last trip before he left.  Plus it was a great reward to myself for FINALLY finishing the masters program at Utah State a week earlier.  I decided that Daniel is the PERFECT traveling companion.  We have the same tastes, likes, dislikes, etc.  We saw and did everything we wanted to do...except see the temple...so that will have to be the next trip!  The pictures are in random order and I may get some of the names wrong on the places we saw because we saw so much!  So get ready for the picture overload! 

The White House


 Washington Memorial


Daniel's idol...Mr. George Washington himself
George Washington's uniform

Natural History Museum (way cooler than I thought it would be)

Mt. Vernon (ended up being my favorite place of the whole trip!)


Where Mr. Washington rests until the Second Coming

Our good friend, Sadie, is living back east for a bit and was with us for a few days!  We shopped, ate, walked, laughed, toured, etc. and had a great time with her.  Here we are at Mt. Vernon with the Potomac River in the background.

Changing of the Guard and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington.  This was such a sacred place to go to and you are in awe as you look across the thousands and thousands of white headstones of men and women who gave their lives for our freedom.  I absolutely loved being there and realizing how blessed we are as a nation.




Library of Congress (the architecture was amazing and the ceilings were unreal)


The Capitol


This guy on the street was incredible to listen to!  He could easily be in a band!

The Memorials






Sitting on the Metro...it saved us from a lot of walking and renting a car!  We thought we looked pretty dumb trying to figure it out but then realized we were surrounded by other tourists looking just as dumb...so we got over it quick.


Overall it was an amazing trip that I will never forget!  Thanks to my brother for making it so fun!  I came away with a greater appreciation for being an American and for the sacrifices of thousands over hundreds of years to make our American dreams possible.  But ultimately it made me thankful for our Supreme Creator who designated this land for such an incredible purpose.  So much to be thankful for!


6 comments:

  1. What an AWESOME trip Connie!!! I just love picture posts! I'm so glad you and Daniel had a great time and got to see so many historical parts of our nation. I can't wait to take the boys sometime and I certainly hope you'll accompany us. I would love for them to see the changing of the guard and oh ..... too many things to count. Thank you SO MUCH for the bracelet from Arlington! I hope you know how much it means to me!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Washington D.C. is amazing huh? I'm so happy that you and Dan got to go, I can't believe he is leaving tomorrow!! And Connie, you are so pretty!! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Connie- Seriously, you do it all! Daniel will forever love that time with you. What a great sister. I would love to see D.C. Glad you had fun and made it back safe.

    BTW- Congrats on your masters. You are my idol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks like you guys had a fun last adventure before Daniel left. Since we are living on the East Coast now we plan to go to Washington DC and you gave you some great ideas!
    Congrats on the Master's!

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO FUN! SO JEALOUS! Looks like you two had a great time. I was just telling Jacob the other day- you are the one who seems to have a special way with every single one of your siblings. So great. And I just have to throw in CONGRATS CONGRATS and muy CONGRATS on finishing school! Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What the? I thought I was going to go to D.C. with you when you went! ;) Next time?? Now that you know the cool places to go?

    ReplyDelete