Brown and Pink Background

Thursday, October 18, 2012

Painting...

Dustin had said he wanted to paint his living room for a few months.  I kept saying, "okay, let's do it then!" but we never did.  I began to realize that Dustin and I work and see things a little different...shocker, I know.  Dustin is REALLY good about thinking things through, planning everything out, studying how to do it, making sure all the bases are covered, and working slowly enough that it is done right and perfect the first time.  Everything he does always looks awesome after he is done with it.  I, on the other hand am the complete opposite.  If I decide to do a project, I just start on it.  I don't think it through completely...I just immediately think about the end result and start working and forget to account for all the in between steps it takes to get to the final result.  This usually results in me not having all the right tools or supplies.  This then requires me to take a million trips to Home Depot instead of one or two like Dustin.  And after realizing half way through the project that I have NO IDEA what I am doing, and it really is harder than it looks, I end up calling a professional to come in and finish the job or I recruit my family and friends to fix my work and help me finish.  You would think I'd learn by now.
 
I have many examples of this.  Like deciding at 10 PM one night that I wanted to put my newly purchased faucet on my bathroom sink by myself.  Most people would think that turning off the water would be a good idea before you start unhooking a sink.  It didn't even occur to me to do that step, which resulted in my flooding my bathroom and having to call my neighbors, dad and brothers at 11 PM at night to come rescue me. 
 
Or the time when I decided to paint my living room and after painting one wall realizing the paint wasn't sticking.  I didn't think that primer was that big of a deal but found out it was.  After another trip to Home Depot to get primer, I was already sick of painting and recruited my little sister, Maria, to help me paint.  We had painted three walls and we were out of paint (because I didn't even think to ask the Home Depot guy how much paint I would need).  After another trip to Home Depot to get another gallon of paint, we finished the painting.  What I thought would be a lazy afternoon project turned into three days worth of painting...and it only got done that fast because Maria bailed me out.
 
I seem to have a lot of these "genius idea moments" that have backfired.  But we finally got some paint samples to see what color would look good on Dustin's living room walls.  I wanted to skip all the prep work (sanding, filling holes, washing walls, etc) and just paint...cause I don't care if it's perfect and I just like to cross projects off my list.  Dustin didn't agree (which was good because it turned out better his way anyway).
 
Once again, I didn't get any people pictures.  Dustin's Mom and sister came over one day and helped paint.  It would have taken forever if they hadn't come!  Below are some before and after pics:
 
Choosing from the many choices of paint samples:
 

 
The ugly brown wall before...

 
And the green wall after...not the best picture but it looks so much better!

 
Dustin is SO patient with me on our differences in projects!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment